Monday, February 24, 2014

Sometimes Successes Aren't News Worthy but They Are Still Successes

Finishing the Firecracker 10K
Yesterday I set out to run my 2nd race this year. This is also my 2nd race since I had meningitis in 2006. Although I haven't had the twitching feeling in my legs for quite some time, I still get anxiety every time that my legs are going to start tingling and will give out but that didn't happen! I made it through step by step. 

My time was decent (53:23) but I still have plenty of room for improvement.   I am excited that I have some training to look forward to in the coming months. 

I think the the most impactful message I can send to anyone living with a chronic illness whether it be short or long term is that you don't have to let that define you or your progress in life. 7 years ago I could only run a mile at a time. At 26 that is a devastating reality but I knew that I could get better. I lived with a mother who had chronic arthritis all my life and I watched her on most days crawl instead of walk but she never gave up and one day she got to the point where she could walk 4 miles a day. So I knew I could completely regain my ability to run. In my present, I am very healthy but I have so much gratitude for the the days when I didn't have the stamina to stand because that is where I learned perseverance. 7 Years later I can celebrate that perseverance by crossing a finish line.
Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment